4.07.2010

More Recycled Coffee Bag Goodies ...



Since our Spring Trunk Show is just around the corner on April 24th, I've decided to whip up a bunch more stuff made from all these coffee bags I've been saving. It's amazing how much coffee we drink around here.

In case you don't already know this; the the airtight plastic/metallic bags that coffee is often packaged in is very carbon-intensive and totally un-recyclealbe and will last up to 500 years in a landfill. The plastic comes from petrochemicals, and the metallic components are often aluminum, one of the most energy intensive metals. So instead of tossing them, I save them and make cool stuff out of them.

I remain hopeful that one of these days Sbux will do the right thing and hire a company to develop more sustainable packaging for their product. But until that day, I'm going to continue to make purses, wallets and such out of them to save them from being in a landfill and contaminating the planet.

In this shot I have a purse, a few women's clutches, a guy's wallet, a checkbook cover and an eyeglass case. I'll probably think of a few more things to make with them that I'll be selling at the show. Oh, and if you're also a coffee addict like me and you have some of these bags that you don't want to toss, stop by on the 24th and I promise to make something useful out of them - Sophia Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment